What is Grassroots football?
Grassroots football is football for boys and girls between 6-12 years of age. Grassroots football is simple, fun and easy to organise and is an introduction to the game for any child. It provides children the access to football in a safe, enjoyable and positive environment. A good introduction of football to every child and ensuring that the children enjoy football, will help in the child continuing to participate in the sport in the long run.
FIFA defines Grassroots football as:
“To allow football to be discovered by as many people as possible.”
What are the key objectives of Grassroots football?:
- Attract young players to the sport; allow access to football in a child’s own environment.
- Football for all; irrespective of skin color, gender, nationality, religion or ethnicity.
- Grassroots Football programs target boys and girls between 6-12 through school, club and community initiatives.
- Development before winning: Ensure child’s overall development comes before winning or losing.
- Consists of small sided games and age specific activities
- Football is FUN: Create an enjoyable experience for kids
- Football can be played anywhere, everywhere
Football is the best teacher, teaches the values of life